Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Area from Whence I Work

Here are some pictures of the area that I am working in. It has been designated as an area that is willing to have chemical production companies. As many areas are not interested in having chemicals production (due to the obvious health risks) the government officials are able to benefit greatly (financially) from allowing them to set up shop here. There is actually a Hummer being driven around by one of the officials which looks so ridiculous when it is surrounded by the city. It illustrates perfectly the massive wealth gap present here.


This first picture is of the front sign for the company. Right behind it is the office building and further behind is the warehouse and the production facility.

The second picture is taken from a 180 degree perspective from the last one. It shows how rural the area is. This is basically farmland that has been turned into land for sale to chemical companies. So this is a plot of land that has yet to be sold. You can kind of see that on both sides there are factories that have been built around it. I like this photo because it is fairly representative of the situation here in Taixing.


This third picture is down the road from my company (so it is at a 90 degree angle from the last photo) In the photo you may be able to see two shacks up the road on the right side. The first one is the barbershop which apparently gives more than a haircut. The second one is a bar which was set up to accommodate the German workers at the factory next to mine. I have been drinking there and I met a German lady who insisted on arguing about everything even when I wasn't arguing back. The guy that I was drinking with and I decided to check out the barbershop and see if they really offered "more than a cut". the lady was scared shitless which made sense as we had consumed about 9 litres of beer each and were speaking quite loudly in English. She refused to open the door,but as we started to walk away she gave in and opened the door ready for business.............................................

This picture is of the last direction I have yet to show (90 degrees from the first and second pictures and 180 from the third). As far as I know there is nothing down this road. I believe that it continues for a way and then eventually drops off into the abyss. I have no proof but I have never seen anyone return from that direction so it makes the most sense to me.


So there you have it. The area in which I work. Where the air is thick and the rain is sour. It is funny though because despite the pollution (or perhaps because of it) the people here do look much younger than they really are. Go figure.

No comments: